Why the odd silence over the holidays?
1. I was at my mother's house for the end of the week and most of the weekend.
2. I could have done the horribly cliched "Yay, this is what I'm thankful for Thansgiving post," but that's my style. Since I'm almost late on everything (see my lack of Fabulous Fat Chick posts on Fridays) I've decided to post what I'm thankful for today.
I try to be thankful for what I have every day. I don't really see the purpose of setting out to be extra thankful on a specific day. However, as an anthropology minor, I do see the good getting together and feasting with family units can bring forth. Holidays usually create one of the following reactions from the people I know: extreme happiness, suicidal depression, or indifference. I lean towards indifference in some instances, extreme happiness in others, depending on the holiday. (Yay, Halloween!!!!!)
Before I start rambling on too much, here are the top 10 things I'm thankful for every day:
1. My mother is here for another holiday. Two years ago, she managed to almost die, because when she feels sick, she holes up in her house, hides the severity of her illness from everyone, and lies in bed without eating or drinking.
2. For now, birth control is legal in the U.S. However, groups around the country are trying to promote legislation that would consider fertilized eggs to be independent entities with their own human rights. So, every contraceptive that keeps fertilized eggs from implanting in the uterus and many fertilization procedures that fertilize a number of eggs and only implant a few would be illegal (varying from state to state, at least at first).
3. I live in a country where, if I'm raped and go to the police, I won't be punished for being a victim.
4. I have access to a university library, where I just checked out The Rape of Nanking, Fire Wife, and Alias the Cat! I plan to review at least some of these titles soon.
5. I never have the money to get caught up in the whole Black Friday affair. Those people scare me.
6. There are so many LARP groups in my area, I could almost go to a game a day if I wanted to.
7. Zombie invasions. I might post pictures of last night, if I get the chance.
8. Over at "The Poisoned Apple", I just read that Joss Whedon is going to make a new series called The Dollhouse. I almost cried. I just wonder if the strike is going to throw a wrench into the works.
9. Two beautiful cats, who hate each other.
Okay, it's just the calico. She hates Sirius Black.
10. My muse, who I've named Troxie, and looks like a little gnome. (Think of the goblins in Labyrinth. He has kept me in some pretty good scenes from my last novel endeavor. I'm still behind, though.