Thursday, December 13, 2007

Remembering New Orleans

The first and only time I visited New Orleans, I was on a road trip from Florida to Minnesota to try college on for a try.

This was New Orleans in all its pre-Katrina glory, although there was a hurricane on the horizon while we were there (it was the fall of 2000).

Even though my traveling companion wasn't that great (there are many, many reasons why I left him) The Big Easy became my favorite city, both for fond memories and my own fantasies. Before Katrine, The Advocate was my first choice paper to work at, because I wanted to be close to the city.

I love cities steeped in history. Walking through the picturesque streets and seeing the old brink buildings with wrought iron railings and accents was a perfect way to enjoy the day. Because we were there during the off-season, we got discounts almost everywhere we went.

I loved the altars at Marie Laveau's House of Voodoo and Reverend Zombie's Voodoo Shop. I bought witchy trinkets, a bright green feather boa, and a House of Voodoo poster I eventually traded for a Minnostan's soul.

I had Po' Boy sandwiches and frog legs in dive bars and found a used bookstore off the beaten track, where I bought a collection of Shakespeare for under a dollar.

I have so many fond memories of New Orleans, yet I regret I never got to take a tour. A historical walking tour or ghost tour would have been perfect.

The next time I go, I'm going to consider Trusted Tours & Attractions. There's even a Trusted Travel eNewsletter. If you sign up for the newsletter before Dec. 31, you can enter to win a free iPod Nano.



No comments: